Total Chaos Director's Cut - Doom Survival Horror Mod

What is Total Chaos?

Total Chaos is a total conversion mod for Doom 2 that runs on the GZDoom source port. The mod is a survival horror set on a remote island known as Fort Oasis. The island was once run by a community of coal miners which one day suddenly disappeared, leaving behind the abandoned concrete jungle to waste away. Something, clearly, has gone very wrong with this place. Upon your arrival at Fort Oasis, you receive a strange radio transmission. Someone wants to be found.

Where to download?

1 Like

Total Chaos: Directors Cut AKA a Total masterpiece… almost

Introduction
You are in a boat, in the middle of a storm…
It seems impossible to survive such power but then, like a mirage in the desert, an island appear in the distance.
You approach the island to seek for some help…
And this is when your nightmares become true…

Total Chaos is a FPS (First Person Shooter) made as a DOOM 2 stand alone mod. It take inspiration from old games like Silent Hill and Resident Evil. Prepare yourself because you are not going around shooting hordes of monsters, but you will find yourself in an adventure that will keeps you on your toes to start from the end.
I will try to keep this little review spoiler free as far as i can,so you can enjoy the game yourself :smiley:

First thoughts
I wasn’t expecting such a piece of art.
If you don’t know is a DOOM 2 Mod, that use his engine, you will never figure is an actual mod.
I was astonished to see how well crafted is the enviroment, usually the 3d models on a Doom mod are made by using voxels, not this time.
I actually enjoyed the game, there are a couple of things however that actually bothered me a little, but let’s go in order

• Sound
    The Audio and the little ost of the game does a great job on always keep you on alert.
    They blend with the environment in such a way to transmit you the desolation, decay and sadness of the island every single step you take further in to it.
    Talking about the monsters,some of them will make different sounds depending on the actions they will perform. An example is when they attack you they will make a special audio que to let you know they are about to attack and the game does that really, really well.

• Grapich
    Is a doom mod, i wasn’t especting such a detailed work. It was a blast to see how well made are the models, to enemies and items. The limits of Doom have been pushed even further away.

• Story
    Oh well, sadly i can’t say much for the sake of avoiding spoilers.
    The only thing i can say ishaving Cry of Fear vibes but in a less powerfull way.
    Not a bad story, could be better

• Gameplay
    Total Chaos is a survival Horror more than an FPS. Don’t expect to go around and shoot things like in doom, you will find yourself in danger in no time.
    The game offers the player an inventory sistem with a max weight capacity, not only you have to face scarce resources, but you have to manage what will you bring with you during your journey and what not.
    You even need to satisfy base human needs like hunger and thristiness. Scattered around the island you can find food and beverage, but mind, most of them will give you radiation poison, but you can lower the radiation with multiple items, you can even eliminate the radiation from the food, if you find a way to do so.
    You will face durability in melee weapons because, yep, the game have a melee system, you will use stamina for every hit you throw or charge,even for dodging, you can fix the melee weapons if you find the right materials to do it. To be total honest, i’ve founded the melee system can be a little be wanky sometimes, but nothing unbereable.
    This introduce the possibility to combine items, mind, you can combine them to make weapons,meds or improved food, not to create some fancy weapons, rember, survival is the key.
    You can even found armors times to times, but mind, they have a durability and they can’t be repaird.
    All of this elements keep you under pressure, giving you another problem to face.
    The inventory system is nothing too elaborate, is simple enough to be an awesome addiction to the entire game.

Last Thoghts
As far Total Chaos can seem a good game, it have his problems.
Many time you wiull find yourself to backtrack A LOT, but the level design can be really confusing.
Sometimes is done on purpose, but most of them is not and is clearly visible
Despite the huge levels you will encounter and all of the mechanics the game offer to you, you will have no map to use for orientation. You will find some signs scattered around, but not always. In the long run this can be annoying.

Despise this, after all, this game deserve to be played at least one time, even two.
Vote: 8/10